Selenium is a more utilized open-source automation testing tool for website applications. This tool can perform regression, functional, and load testing on web apps across various browsers & platforms. Moreover, Selenium is also one of the finest tools although it does have some disadvantages. However, there are several other automation testing tools which are available in the market which offer better or similar features to Selenium.
Best Selenium Alternatives
- 1 Best Selenium Alternatives
- 1.1 1. testRigor
- 1.2 2. Rapise
- 1.3 3. Katalon Platform
- 1.4 4. Virtuoso
- 1.5 5. Subject7
- 1.6 6. Testim
- 1.7 7. Cucumber
- 1.8 8. UFT (Unified Functional Test)
- 1.9 9. iMacros
- 1.10 10. Cypress
- 1.11 11. Serenity
- 1.12 12. IBM Ration Functional Tester
- 1.13 13. Galen Framework
- 1.14 14. SikuliX
- 1.15 15. Redwood
- 1.16 16. Web Application Testing in Ruby (Watir)
- 1.17 17. Telerik Test Studio
- 1.18 18. Screenster
- 2 FAQs
When selecting the best Selenium alternative, greatly depends on some particular testing needs & requirements of a project. Below are some of the best Selenium alternatives depending on their popularity, features, & community support:
This is a cloud-based testing platform that offers automated testing solutions for website applications. It provides a wide range of features for automated testing which includes test recording, test results analysis, and test playback.
Among the major benefit of testRigor over other different testing tools is its capability to auto-update tests when web app interfaces change. This feature helps in saving effort and time, as testers don’t have to update their tests manually every time there’s a change in an application interface.
testRigor also provides integrations with several popular development tools like JIRA & GitHub, which makes it simple for teams to collaborate & manage test cases.
testRigor is an important tool for web app testing, it’s significant to note that it’s not a direct alternative to Selenium. Moreover, selenium is an open-source testing framework that offers more flexibility & customization options for website application testing. Moreover, testRigor is a suitable choice for teams that need a cloud-based testing platform that has a simple & user-friendly interface.
- Test result analysis. TestRigor offers detailed reports on test outcomes which helps the teams identify & fix defects fast.
- Generates tests in plain English 15x faster compared with Selenium. Forget about XPaths & other locators
- Codeless test automation. TestRigor provides a codeless testing method that eliminates the necessity for writing & maintaining test scripts.
- Cross-platform & cross-browser tests for Mobile, Web, & API
- Ultra-stable tests are 200x more stable, unlike Selenium. Some companies even utilize them for monitoring
- Seamless integration with the CI/CD, test case tracking tools, and issue tracking.
- Visual testing. TestRigor provides a visual testing feature that could help in detecting visual changes in web apps.
- One can add as several parallelizations as required enabling fast test run outcomes
- Compliant with SOC 2 Type 2 hence your information is in safe hands
This is an automated testing tool made by Inflectra Corporation which offers various features for testing web, mobile applications, and desktops. It’s a powerful tool that offers a codeless testing method enabling users in creating plus maintaining automated tests minus composing any code.
- Record & playback in every browser, & live-validation when recording,
- Codeless testing. Rapise’s codeless testing method helps non-technical users in creating & maintaining automated tests easily.
- Creates & refines tests utilizing drag & drop through the object-based tactic. Objects update synchronously because of Rapise’s self-healing AI-driven locators and powerful maintenance features.
- Cross-browser testing. Rapise works with several browsers among them includes Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Edge, and Safari.
- Edit recorded tests utilizing its easy-to-use graphic, keyword-driven framework – RVL.
- Rapise features in-built support for data-driven testing & integrates with other third-party CI/ALM/ CD/JIRA/Jenkins solutions & complex applications (Salesforce.com, MS Dynamics, SAP).
- Mobile testing. Rapise works well with testing mobile applications on iOS and Android platforms.
3. Katalon Platform
Katalon Studio refers to an integrated software testing platform that provides a comprehensive suite of features for testing desktop, API, web, and mobile apps. It’s made to be easy to use and provides a low learning curve which makes it accessible to experienced testers & those who are new to this field.
- Flexible test design. It’s simple to test generation with a record & playback approach.
- Features in-built keywords & improved scripting capabilities.
- Mobile testing. Katalon provides support for testing mobile apps on both iOS and Android platforms.
- Powerful test execution. They execute automation tests via numerous platforms and allow CI/CD pipelines with in-built Gitlab, Circle CI integrations
- Supports different testing methodologies. This is a Keyword-Driven Testing, Data-driven Testing, Page Object Model Testing, and TDD/BDD Testing
- Integration with other different tools. Katalon integrates well with other popular tools including Jenkins, Git, and JIRA, allowing users to automate their testing workflows & manage test cases plus results.
- Less test maintenance effort together with Katalon resilient object locators & auto-healing utilities
- Features a centralized and collaborative report dashboard. Insightful charts at every testing stage for suitable project management & accessibility for every member.
- Test recording & playback: Katalon gives a test recorder that enables users to record their interactions together with an application & auto-generates test scripts.
Virtuoso refers to an AI-powered test automation platform made by Functionalize. This tool provides a range of improved features for testing web, API, and mobile apps. Virtuoso utilizes AI & machine learning to auto-generate & execute tests decreasing the need to have manual testing.
- The author tests Natural Language from the wireframes or necessities before your app is built
- Self-healing tests. Virtuoso is an AI-powered algorithm hence it auto fix broken tests which decreases the need to have a manual intervention.
- Obliterate test maintenance using AI-driven self-healing abilities
- Cross-browser & device testing. Virtuoso works with testing on several browsers & devices which includes desktops, tablets & mobile phones.
- Understand the main reason for test failures
- Execute on every device, OS, or browser at scale in the cloud
- Any person could create API calls & stores them for utilization in functional tests. This feature allows users to validate the performance and functionality of their APIs & ensures that they’re operating well.
- Snapshot testing to get every Visual Regression using baselines
- Self-healing tests. Since Virtuoso is an AI-powered algorithm it can auto-fix broken tests, decreasing the requirement of having a manual intervention.
Subject7 refers to a cloud-based test automation platform that offers various features for testing web & mobile apps. It provides a codeless testing approach that enables users to create & maintain automated tests minus writing any code. Moreover, our easy-to-use system leverages open-source standards as it removes technical complexities which help the team accelerate test automation codeless & at scale.
- Codeless testing. Subject7 is a codeless testing method that allows non-technical users in creating & maintaining automated tests comfortably.
- Integrates comfortably with DevOps/Agile tooling utilizing native plugins, open APIs, & in-app integrations.
- High-scale parallel execution at the cloud or on-prem using enterprise-grade security.
- Automated regression testing. Subject7 provides automated regression testing abilities enabling users in retesting their apps quickly & easily.
- Flexible reporting of defects using video capture of outcomes.
- Easy, non-metered costing, conveying financial predictability
- Subject7 provides comprehensive API testing abilities enabling users to test REST & SOAP APIs.
- Leverages & improves open-source, including Appium, Selenium, JMeter, SikuliX, ZAP, etc.
- Test reporting & analytics. Subject7 offers detailed reports on test outcomes which includes test case execution status, screenshots, logs, & videos.
- Compliant with SOC2 Type2
Testim refers to an AI-powered test automation platform made for web apps. It utilizes machine learning in creating and executing tests, decreasing the time & effort needed for manual testing. Several companies worldwide the likes of Microsoft, Devada, Salesforce, etc. trust Testim’s low-code platform.
- Creates self-healing and auto-improving end-to-end tests
- AI-powered test creation. Testim is a machine learning algorithm that auto-generates & updates tests depending on changes to the application.
- Rapidly expand test coverage & keeps releases on track.
- Unparalleled flexibility via coded steps that could operate outside and inside the browser.
- Test reporting & analytics. Testim offers detailed reports of test outcomes which include test case execution status, screenshots, logs, & videos.
- Cross-browser tests operate in parallel at Testim’s or 3rd parties grids.
- Testim’s TestOps abilities help the team in managing & efficiently scaling their automation initiatives using control & insights.
- Integration with other different tools: Testim integrates properly other popular tools including Jenkins, Slack, and JIRA allowing users in automating their testing workflows & manage test cases & outcomes.
Cucumber refers to a testing tool that enables one to compose automated tests at a behavior-driven development (BDD) style. Using Cucumber, one could create plain-text descriptions of the way software should behave, known as “feature files,” & then compose a code that maps the descriptions to the actual tests.
- Because of the use of BDD, Business & IT teams could properly understand the tests.
- Behavior-driven development (BDD) support. Cucumber software is designed to help in supporting the BDD methodology. This emphasizes collaboration between developers, business stakeholders, and testers to define & verify app behavior.
- Cucumber unifies specification & test documentation into one cohesive whole
- Updated constantly and with huge community support.
8. UFT (Unified Functional Test)
Unified Functional Testing(UFT) previously known as Quick Test Professional (QTP), is a common automation testing tool utilized for functional & regression testing of software apps. It is made by Micro Focus & supports different technologies & programming languages like .NET, SAP, Java, Oracle, & Web Services.
- Image-Based Testing. Unified Functional Testing works well with image-based testing, that’s a testing methodology that involves testing an app depending on the appearance of the user interface.
- Unified Functional Testing works not just with the web but with all kinds of development environments including SAP, Seibel, Oracle, etc.
- Object Identification: Unified Functional Testing features a powerful object identification mechanism that enables testers to find objects depending on their properties which makes it simpler to create robust & reliable tests.
- It’s among the best replacement for the selenium tool which works cross-browser & multi-platform testing,
- Unified Functional Testing features an object repository that consists of all the objects utilized in an application that’s being tested.
- Unified Functional Testing enables testers to record & playback user actions in an application.
- Enables distributing tests at numerous machines.
- Has the best image-based object recognition in Industry.
- Visual Test Script Design which assists in faster test modification & upgrades.
- QTP/UFT utilizes VBScript language that’s simple to utilize compared to different Test Scripting Languages.
- Unified Functional Testing works well with keyword-driven testing which is a testing methodology that involves defining actions like keywords in a spreadsheet or other different tools.
- UFT features a script editor which enables testers to compose test scripts at VBScript.
- UFT enables testers to execute tests at numerous browsers & platforms including mobile, web, and desktop apps.
- UFT integrates well with other tools like Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), Jenkins, & other CI/CD tools to offer end-to-end automation
iMacros refers to a browser automation tool that enables users in automating repetitive tasks in web browsers. It’s a powerful tool that’s available like a browser add-on for Firefox, Google Chrome, & Internet Explorer. This testing tool is utilized for
- Data Extraction
- Web testing
- Browser Automation
- Command Line Interface. iMacros is utilized from a command line, which makes it simple to integrate with other different tools & automate tasks from scripts.
- iMacros enables users to record & playback browser actions including filling out forms, navigating to various pages, and clicking links.
- Free add-on for Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. Can automate almost every Web task.
- iMacros can be utilized to input information into web forms like login credentials & contact details. This helps in savings users time & decreasing the risk of problems.
- iMacros can be utilized in automating web testing like functional testing, performance testing, and regression testing. This assists in ensuring that the web apps are operating efficiently and correctly.
- iMacros features an in-built image recognition feature that enables users to automate tasks depending on the appearance of a web page like clicking at a certain button or image.
- iMacros could be utilized to process huge batches of information like uploading multiple files to a site or filling out numerous forms.
- Automate functional, regression testing, and performance of a website technology including Flex, Java, Silverlight applets, or Ajax
- Cypress could take screenshots & videos of tests which makes it simpler to debug errors and share the outcomes with others.
- Cypress offers an in-built debugger that enables developers to step via their tests & view the state of the application to a point at test.
- With a test status menu feature, users will be allowed to see how many tests are failed or passed.
- Cypress auto-waits for commands & assertions before the move on
- Cypress offers real-time reloading of tests as some changes are made this makes it simple to view the effects of code changes at test outcomes.
- It’s among the best alternatives to selenium that enable checking responsive sites together with the viewport sizing.
- Cypress takes test run snapshots. For a headless execution, you will have a video of a whole test run.
- Cypress auto reloads all the changes made in the tests
- Cypress auto-waits for web elements to appear before they perform actions on them. This makes the tests to be more reliable & decreases the need to have a manual wait statement.
- It’s a Python selenium substitute that has Command Log & the app preview which shows the exact automation actions on the web app in test execution.
- Cypress enables developers to “time travel” via their tests, hence they can move back & forth between various steps in a test to view how an application behaves at every point.
Serenity refers to a test automation framework that’s free and it’s designed to make it simple to make automated tests for web apps. It’s built at the top of Selenium WebDriver & offers developers several important features & tools for testing web apps. It’s one of the selenium alternative tools which generates test reports that document & describe functional test coverage.
- Serenity integrates properly with different tools including Jenkins, Maven, & JIRA.
- It’s among the best replacement for selenium which offers comments/narrative & screenshots for every test step.
- Serenity works well with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD) style testing. This means that tests are composed in natural language which could be easily understood by non-technical stakeholders.
- Release or Requirements aggregate vies of test results
- This selenium alternative tool assists one in writing a cleaner plus maintainable automation code.
- Test data management. Serenity offers tools for handling test data like test data sets & data-driven testing.
- Maps one’s automated tests back to the requirements
- Offers Test Coverage.
- Parallel test execution. Serenity enables tests to be executed in parallel, which can meaningfully decrease test execution time.
12. IBM Ration Functional Tester
IBM Rational Functional Tester (RFT) refers to a test automation tool that’s designed in making it simple to create automated tests for desktop, web, & mobile applications. It’s built on top of the Eclipse platform & offers developers a number of powerful features & tools for testing apps. It is among the best selenium alternatives software that offers automated testing features for regression, functional, GUI & data-driven testing. Moreover, it also supports a range of apps including Java, SAP, Siebel, Net, Ajax, PowerBuilder, etc.
- Visual editing via screenshots
- Cross-browser testing. The RFT works with cross-browser testing meaning tests can beoperated in various browsers to guarantee compatibility.
- RFT works with mobile testing hence the tests can be created & executed on mobile devices.
- Rational Functional Tester allows your development teams to make associated keyword scripts that enable improving efficiency and easy re-use.
- Makes it simpler to code test scripts in Java with Eclipse.
- RFT works well with numerous scripting languages including Java & VB.NET making it simple to integrate with other different tools & frameworks.
- This IBM ratio functional testing tool helps in automating code completion & provides improved debugging options
- RFT offers code coverage analysis that enables developers to decide how much the application’s code is tested.
- Simple Integration with the third-party software
13. Galen Framework
Galen Framework is a free test automation framework that’s designed to make it simple to create & execute responsive design tests for web apps. It’s built on top of Selenium WebDriver & offers the developers several useful features & tools for testing the responsive design.
- Galen Framework offers a tool for testing the responsiveness of web pages which includes testing the way pages look on various screen sizes & orientations.
- HTML Based on issue reporting with screenshots
- Integration together with CI/CD. Galen Framework is well integrated with the CI/CD pipelines making it simple to auto-operate tests continuously.
- Simple to write/read syntax
- It’s among the best selenium alternatives which provide numerous browsers support
- Utilizing Galen specs language, one can describe every complex layout like various browsers or screen sizes.
- Galen Framework offers tools for the testing layout of a web page including testing an alignment, size of elements on a page, and spacing.
- Galen Framework operates properly in Selenium Grid. This helps in setting up tests to operate in a BrowserStack or cloud-like Sauce Labs
- Have an Image Comparison feature.
- Galen Framework features a modular test design hence the tests can be separated into smaller and reusable components.
SikuliX is a free test automation tool that’s designed to ensure that it’s simple to automate GUI testing for desktop apps. It’s built on top of the Java platform & offers developers some powerful features & tools for testing your desktop apps.
- SikuliX is mainly designed for GUI testing hence it’s focused on testing the user interface of an app.
- SikuliX can be utilized to automate repetitive tasks.
- SikuliX can be easily integrated with other tools like Jenkins & Selenium making it simple to manage & track testing activities.
- This tool can be utilized to automate a desktop/web app or task for everyday use.
- To test a web or application that’s under development.
- SikuliX utilizes improved image recognition algorithms to find and interact with other elements at a desktop app’s user interface, making it simpler to create reliable & robust tests.
- SikuliX works with cross-platform testing hence the tests can be easily created & executed on various operating systems like Windows, Linux, and Mac.
This is a free framework for making applications that are serverless with the help of React and Node.js. It offers some set of tools & libraries which makes it simple to create scalable & highly performing apps that could be deployed to the cloud. It’s among the best selenium alternatives that operate with any HTML5-compatible browser minus any installation.
- Redwood utilizes a serverless architecture hence the apps can be deployed to the cloud & auto-scale based on demand.
- It enables observing test execution in real time using detailed results, screenshots, and clickable stack trace exceptions.
- Redwood offers in-built testing tools & libraries, which makes it simple to write & run tests for your app.
- It enables executing automated test cases in parallel on several machines
- Redwood offers an in-built GraphQL API which makes it simple to create & expose data models & APIs for your app.
- Import present TestNG/JUnit test cases & develop new ones
- It’s compatible with other tools like TeamCity or Jenkins to integrate with a continuous integration process
- Redwood integrates with popular databases including PostgreSQL & SQLite which makes it simple to keep & manage app data.
Web Application Testing in Ruby (Watir) is a free test automation tool that helps in automating web apps in Ruby. It offers developers an easy-to-use API for interacting together with web pages and & web applications. It also helps in supporting cross-browser testing on various platforms like Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.
- Web Application Testing in Ruby features the Page Object Model making it simple to organize tests into logical units & reutilize them across various tests.
- It helps in supporting web applications irrespective of what it’s developed in.
- Watir could be integrated with other different testing tools which include RSpec & Cucumber, which makes it simple to manage & track testing activities.
- It works with numerous browsers on various platforms
- Web Application Testing in Ruby offers an easy-to-use API for relating with the web pages & web applications, which makes it simple to write & maintain tests.
- Watir supports every other technology despite it being a family of Ruby libraries
- It utilizes Ruby which is a full-featured modern scripting language instead of a proprietary vendor script
- Web Application Testing in Ruby features parallel testing. Therefore, the tests can be operated concurrently decreasing the time taken to run a huge suite of tests.
Telerik Test Studio refers to a comprehensive test automation tool that’s designed to make it simple to automate functional, load, and performance testing of desktop and web applications. It offers developers a number of powerful features & tools for testing apps, including advanced test scripting, a visual test recorder, & cross-browser testing.
- Telerik Test Studio features load testing hence the tests can be run to mimic high levels of user activity, enabling developers to find & resolve performance problems.
- Can do API and Load Testing
- Testing HTML Popups plus Browser Dialogs
- Telerik Test Studio offers a visual test recorder that enables developers to record tests by interacting with an app’s user interface. This makes it simple to create tests minus writing code.
- Strong Object Repository feature
- Features Continuous Integration.
- Telerik Test Studio features continuous testing hence the tests can be integrated into the development process & autorun as part of the build process.
- Native Support for Telerik UI Controls
- Telerik Test Studio features mobile testing hence the tests can be operated on mobile devices plus emulators enabling developers to test the mobile user experience.
Screenster refers to a cloud-based test automation tool that’s designed in making it simple to create & run web app visual tests. It offers developers some powerful features & tools for testing apps, including the visual test recorder, advanced reporting, intelligent test maintenance, & analytics.
- Screenster features parallel testing hence the tests can be operated concurrently decreasing the time taken to run a huge suite of tests.
- Screenster provides great features including auto-correcting smart selectors & automatic timeout management.
- Low-code solutions allow one in automating the UI tests minus hand-coding.
- Screenster can be comfortably integrated with different testing tools among them includes JIRA & Jenkins. This makes it simple to manage & track testing activities.
- Recording tests is the fastest and easiest means to automate visual testing
- Screenster utilizes machine learning to auto-update tests when some web page changes, hence test stay up-to-date & accurate even when the application grows over time.
- Screenster helps in running tests as a section of CI. Therefore, if a difference is noticed between the baseline & a regression run test is recorded as failed.
- Screenster offers a visual test recorder that enables developers to record tests by interacting with the app’s user interface. This makes it simple to create tests minus writing code.
Which factors should one consider while choosing Selenium Alternatives?
When choosing Selenium alternatives, there are numerous factors that you need to consider. Below are some of the most significant factors to remember:
Language Support: check the programming languages which the tool supports. If you have a development team that specializes in a certain language, ensure that the tool supports that language to have a simple collaboration and integration.
Integration: check if the tool can be simply integrated with other different tools which you’re already utilizing. This can assist in streamlining your testing process & makes it simpler for your team to cooperate.
Simple of Use: Also consider the user interface & ease of usage of the tool. The best tool should have an intuitive & user-friendly interface that makes it simpler for your team to generate & execute tests.
Community Support: Check the size plus activity of a tool’s community. A huge plus and active community could offer valuable resources & support and contribute to the continuing development & improvement of a tool.
Test Requirements: Check your application requirements & testing requirements. Various tools have distinct capabilities. Therefore, always ensure that the tool you select suits your requirements for load, functional, or performance testing and any other testing needs.
Cost: Check the cost of a tool & if it suits your budget. There is a tool that is more expensive compared to others, Therefore, it’s significant to consider the cost of a tool in relation to the organization’s requirements & resources.
Support: Check the level of support offered by a tool vendor. Check for a vendor who offers comprehensive documentation, responsive customer support, and training resources.
Which are some of the Best Selenium Alternatives?
· Katalon Platform
How to choose the best Selenium Alternatives test automation tool?
Choosing the best alternative test automation tool to Selenium can be a daunting task. However, below we have some steps which you can follow to make this process easier:
Check the tool’s features: Assess the tool’s features and the way they align with your needs. Check for features like test maintenance, creation, reporting, cross-browser support, and integration.
Consider community support: Always look at the size and activity of a tool’s community. A huge plus active community can offer valuable resources & support and also contribute to the ongoing development & improvement of the tool.
Consider language support: View all the programming languages which the tool supports. When your team has the required skills in a particular programming language, select a tool that supports that language for simple integration & collaboration.
Check your testing needs: Identify your app’s testing requirements like functional, performance, and load testing, plus any other particular needs which your team may have. This assists you in narrowing down your options & select a tool that suits your needs.
Evaluate a user interface & ease of use: Check the user interface & ease of use of a tool. Best tools should have a friendly user interface which makes it simpler for your team to create & execute tests.
Evaluate support: Assess the level of support offered by the tool vendor. Check for a vendor who offers comprehensive documentation, responsive customer support, and training resources.
Check cost: Consider a cost of a tool & if it fits your budget. There are tools that can be more expensive unlike others, therefore it’s significant to consider the cost of a tool in relation to one’s organization’s resources.
Why selecting the right Selenium Alternative automation tool is of importance?
Selecting the right Selenium alternative automation tool is significant because of numerous reasons. These include:
Supporting numerous programming languages: Automation tools that support numerous programming languages can assist development teams who utilize various programming languages to collaborate & creates tests more easily.
Improving test creation & maintenance: The correct automation tool can improve the creation & maintenance of test scripts, which makes it simpler for teams to create & maintain tests, & increase the dependability of test outcomes.
Meeting particular testing requirements: Every application features a distinct testing requirement, & selecting the right tool can guarantee that those needs are met. A tool that’s specialized for particular types of testing like load and performance testing, can be very effective, unlike a general-purpose tool including Selenium.
Enhancing collaboration: Automation tools that are simply integrated with other different tools utilized by your team like issue tracking systems could improve collaboration & streamline testing processes.
Enhancing test coverage: An automation tool that comes with improved features can assist in improving test coverage & identifying defects in apps that may not be detected via manual testing.
Saving time & resources: Automation tools could assist in decreasing the time & resources required for testing by automating repetitive jobs & enabling teams to concentrate on several complex testing scenarios.
Terry White is a professional technical writer, WordPress developer, Web Designer, Software Engineer, and Blogger. He strives for pixel-perfect design, clean robust code, and a user-friendly interface. If you have a project in mind and like his work, feel free to contact him